Mold in the home is a common concern for homeowners. Mold growth can cause property damage, including staining and deterioration of building materials. Family members might also suffer from allergies or experience health issues related to exposure to mold. If you’re concerned about mold in your home, here are a few signs of mold to be aware of.
A Musty Odor
A damp or musty smell is sometimes noticed in homes that have mold. If you notice a smell that you cannot identify, look for areas with excess moisture and other signs of mold. Because mold growth may be hidden, check areas like beneath the sink, inside the trash can, behind the refrigerator or washing machine, and in hallway closets.
Moisture can Lead to Signs of Mold Growth
Excess moisture can lead to mold growth in as few as 24 to 48 hours. If you have high humidity in your home and often notice condensation on windows or countertops, you have a higher risk of mold developing in your living spaces. Make repairs to a dripping faucet or leaking pipe beneath the sink. Use ventilation fans in the bathrooms when showering. Don’t leave damp clothing in piles on the floor. Hang the clothes outside to dry or toss them in the clothes dryer.
Visible Signs of Mold
Sometimes mold is visible. It may appear as dark stains, splotches, or streaks on walls, fabrics, or cabinets. Be alert for mold in dark places and in areas that are prone to moisture, like bathrooms and kitchens. To keep your home healthy, do regular inspections for mold growth. Check places that tend to be damp like under sinks, in closets, and in the basement. Occasionally inspect the attic for mold growth. Moisture there can indicate inadequate ventilation or a roof leak.
Allergy Symptoms Can Indicate Mold in the Home
If you or your family members feel congested or suffer from sneezing, itchy eyes, runny nose, or headaches, mold may be the culprit. Mold can cause mild to severe respiratory symptoms. Seasonal allergies may be to blame, however, if your symptoms improve when you leave the house and return when you arrive home, this could be a sign that mold is present in your living spaces.